Whether you are thinking of visiting Botswana or are traveling out of Botswana, it is good to know the Botswana border posts operating times in order to avoid getting there early or late. Botswana shares a border with 4 countries, namely Zambia in the north, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Namibia. Unfortunately Botswana is a landlocked country and only has land and air ports, no sea ports. With more than 24 border posts across the country, here is a list of the Botswana border posts operating times. (Bodara e bula nako mang? Bodara e tswala nako mang?)
List of Botswana Border Posts Operating times
Below is a comprehensive list of all the Botswana border ports operating times you can quickly go through; (Bodara e bula nako mang? Bodara e tswala nako mang?)
Botswana / South Africa Border Crossing Stations times
|South Africa – Botswana border posts||Border Posts operating times (dinako tsa bodara)|
|Pont Drift – Mashatu||07:00 – 16:00|
|Platjan||08:00 – 16:00|
|Zanzibar||08:00 – 16:00|
|Groblersbrug / Martin’s Drift||08:00 – 16:00|
|Parr’s Halt – Stockpoort B||08:00 – 16:00|
|Sikwane – Derdepoort B||06:00 – 19:00|
|Tlokweng Gate – Klopfontein||06:00 – 00:00|
|Ramotswa – Swartkoppie||06:00 – 22:00|
|Ramatlabama||06:00 – 22:00|
|Pioneer Gate – Skilpadshek||06:00 – 00:00|
|Phitshane Molopo||07:00 – 16:00|
|Bray||07:00 – 16:00|
|Makopong||08:00 – 18:00|
|McCarthy’s Rust||08:00 – 18:00|
|Middlepits||07:30 – 16:00|
Botswana / Namibia Border Crossing Station Times
|Namibia – Botswana border posts||Border Posts operating times (dinako tsa bodara)|
|Mamumo||07:00 – 00:00|
|Mohemo||06:00 – 18:00|
|Ngoma||07:00 – 18:00|
Zimbabwe / Botswana border posts operating times
|Zimbabwe – Botswana border posts||Border Posts operating times (dinako tsa bodara)|
|Kazungula Road||06:00 – 20:00|
|Pandamatenga||08:00 – 17:00|
|Maitengwe||07:00 – 16:30|
|Ramokgwebana||06:00 – 22:00|
|Matsiloje||07:00 – 16:30|
Zambia / Botswana border posts operating times
|Zambia – Botswana border posts||Border Posts operating times (dinako tsa bodara)|
|Kazungula Road||06:00 – 20:00|
The most exciting Botswana border post
Pontdrift is arguably the most exciting crossing into Botswana during the Botswana border posts operating times. During the dry season, when the Limpopo River is not flowing (typically anywhere between June and November) you can drive across the sandy riverbed – nothing 4×4 tyres (and adjusting the pressure accordingly) can’t handle. If you are lucky you will catch a glimpsewild animals such as the zebra, impala, gemsbock etc.
Whereas the Kazungula bridge crossing between Zambia and Botswana is certainly the most modern and thrilling crossings over the Chobe River. This is one of the top ways to enter into Botswana.
Tips when Border Crossing into Botswana
When self-driving into Botswana from neighboring countries give yourself enough time to clear customs and immigration at border posts, so you can get to your destination on time. Remember to go to the crossing station during the Botswana border posts operating times.
Always remember that there are two crossings at each border control point, an exit and an entry. Cutting it fine at in arriving at the exit and entry points will not guarantee entry or exit into Botswana – you may be forced to sleep at the border post. Look at the Botswana border posts operating times for the various borders above.
Also remember to make sure that you have the correct vehicle papers before you get to the border control point. To assist you in planning your trip here is a list of all border crossings and times they open and close.
Documents needed to cross Botswana’s border posts
- Valid Passport Book: Bring your passport when crossing into Botswana
Visa requirements: Citizens of some African countries won’t need a visa for crossing a Botswana border post, but if you’re traveling with an emergency passport or any other kind of traveling document, you will require a visa.
- Driver’s license: South African and international driver’s licenses are accepted.
- Vehicle insurance: Third-party insurance (at P50) is required and is valid for 90 days. This is only available during the Botswana border posts operating times.
- Vehicle registration documents: If the vehicle is rented, not registered in your name, or not yet fully paid, you will need an affidavit from the police giving you permission from the rental company, financial institution, or owner to take the vehicle across a Botswana border post. Both this letter and the registration documents need to be signed by a Commissioner of Oaths.
- Clearance certificate: You need a temporary import permit (TIP) to bring a vehicle into Botswana. You can buy this at the Botswana border post. Indication of origin: You will need a country of origin sticker for your vehicle, indicating the country it’s registered in.
- Bonus Covid-19 Vaccination Card: Bring your Covid-19 Vaccination card to show proof of vaccination with a complete dose and at least 1 booster shot.
Covid-19 Guidelines when entering Botswana through the border post crossing stations
You will be required to present a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) negative test result no older than 72 hours from the time of departure from country of origin at the port of entry.
May be required, at your cost to undertake immediate COVID-19 testing and isolation or quarantine at a site selected by the Ministry of Health and Wellness of the Republic of Botswana. This is only available during the Botswana border posts operating times.
Things you can do once you cross the Botswana border
After you make the journey during the Botswana border posts operating times and you have successfully crossed into Botswana, here is a list of the next things you can do;
- Travel to visit Botswana’s best tourist destinations
- Shop at Botswana top shopping centers
- 4×4 road trips across Botswana’s beautiful landscape
- Shop online for supplies on Skymart marketplace
- Visit relatives and friends
- Book a hotel or safari lodge online
- Eat the premium Botswana Beef
Essential things to buy once you cross the border into Botswana
After successfully crossing the border during the Botswana border posts operating times, you may want to quickly buy the following items and have them with you when you are traveling within Botswana;
We hope you will enjoy your adventure in Botswana. Travel Safe!